A hypocholesterol or hypocholesterolemic diet is usually prescribed therapeutically to lower cholesterol levels in the blood. Additionally, it can be useful for overweight. Such a diet was developed not without the help of cardiologists, since an increase in cholesterol can lead to various cardiovascular diseases, atherosclerosis. Significantly increases the risk of developing a heart attack and coronary heart disease. In addition, hypercholesterolemia can also be a hereditary disease, and as a rule, a diet has been specially developed for such people that will help reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the blood.
The essence of a hypocholesterol diet
In fact, cholesterol is an important organic compound that is synthesized in the liver, and also enters the body with food, is necessary for many vital functions. But an increase in its level can lead to adverse consequences: atherosclerotic plaques appear, which are deposited on the walls of blood vessels, thereby causing their blockage, which in turn already affects the appearance of other cardiovascular diseases.
Recently, the problem of high cholesterol is relevant for many people, since modern life makes its own adjustments to the diet and lifestyle of people. Doctors attribute this primarily to the increased content of "harmful" fats in our diet due to fast foods and fast food chains. And also with the regular use of alcoholic beverages, smoking, being overweight, hereditary factors and, of course, a sedentary lifestyle.
At its core, the low-cholesterol diet is aimed at reducing the consumption of foods that contain high levels of cholesterol. There are immutable rules of this diet, the observance of which will allow not only to normalize the cholesterol content in the body, but also to lose weight, radically change the lifestyle, thereby contributing to the improvement of overall well-being.
The basic rules of the hypocholesterol diet
For successful results of the hypocholesterol diet, you must follow the basic rules, any violation of which will worsen the general condition and minimize all efforts.
Here is a list of these recommendations:
- avoiding or minimizing unhealthy animal fats ;
- obligatory consumption of fish, except for fried fish, about twice a week;
- replace fatty meat with more dietary: turkey, chicken, rabbit or veal ;
- alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited;
- exclusion from the diet of flour and sweet foods, or minimizing their use;
- the use of vegetable dishes, fruits and low-fat dairy products in the daily menu;
- use of stewed or boiled food instead of fried;
- a categorical ban on the use of mayonnaise, replacing it with lemon juice and spices;
- cool the meat broth before use and remove the top layer of fat;
- poultry meat should preferably be prepared without fat and skin.
Prohibited foods on a low cholesterol diet include:
- various types of sausages, sausages, sausages, smoked meats;
- fatty meats, offal, and duck or goose meats;
- egg yolks, fat cream, sour cream and cottage cheese, condensed milk and processed curds ;
- butter, coconut, palm oil, lard, animal fats and hard margarine ;
- canned fish and other preserves;
- various nuts ( peanuts, pistachios, hazelnuts ), chips, candied fruits and French fries;
- sweet pastries, biscuits, rolls, cakes and other confectionery;
- all types of sugar, chocolate, sweets, as well as marshmallows and marmalade;
- alcohol, strong coffee with cream and cocoa.
Allowed foods for high cholesterol include:
- all lean meats (veal, chicken, turkey, rabbit, and bush meat);
- eat only egg white no more than 2 times a week;
- low-fat milk and fermented milk products, cheeses with no more than 20 percent fat content;
- vegetable oils ( sunflower, corn, olive, soybean ), soft margarine;
- sea fish ( sardine, salmon, tuna, flounder, mackerel, cod and herring ), as well as caviar and seafood about twice a week;
- various fresh or frozen vegetables, legumes, dried fruits and corn ;
- whole grain bread, durum wheat pasta, oatmeal and oatmeal cookies, brown brown rice, low fat puddings and sherbet;
- popsicles and frozen juice, various jellies and smoothies;
- sugar-free juices, various teas, weak coffee and mineral water.
Menu for a week with a hypocholesterolemic diet
Menu for a week with high cholesterol should consist only of allowed foods, which are quite a lot, so make up a daily balanced diet does not require much effort.
Below is a sample menu that you can use to create your own meal plan.
- breakfast - low-fat cottage cheese (150 grams), green or herbal tea, oatmeal;
- second breakfast - some berries or apple ;
- lunch - low-fat meat or vegetable soup, boiled chicken breast (100 grams), vegetable salad seasoned with a small amount of vegetable oil, a slice of rye black bread ;
- afternoon snack - unsweetened yogurt or any fruit;
- dinner - two boiled egg whites, green beans with carrots (stewed or cooked in a double boiler).
- breakfast - fruit salad, a glass of low-fat fermented milk product, a slice of whole grain bread;
- second breakfast - any fruit or fruit jelly without sugar;
- lunch - baked or steamed fish (150 grams), coleslaw with carrots dressed with balsamic or soy sauce and a little vegetable oil;
- afternoon snack - cheese with rye or whole grain bread and herbs;
- dinner - two stewed beef meatballs with stewed vegetables (pepper, cauliflower, carrot).
- breakfast - buckwheat porridge and tomato or vegetable juice;
- second breakfast - baked apple with honey, black tea;
- lunch - mashed vegetable soup, a slice of bread with bran, salad with mushrooms ( oyster mushrooms or champignons ).
- afternoon snack - green tea and one marshmallow;
- dinner - stewed rabbit (250 grams) and Greek salad.
- breakfast - cheesecakes with fruit jam (4 pieces), apple-carrot salad with nuts, a glass of low-fat fermented milk product;
- second breakfast - a decoction of wild rose, dried fruits (5 pieces prunes and the same amount dried apricots );
- lunch - gazpacho, boiled veal (150 grams), a slice of gray or whole grain bread;
- afternoon snack - low-fat cottage cheese with raisins and unsweetened compote ;
- dinner - durum wheat pasta and baked or steamed fish (150 grams).
- breakfast - millet porridge with apple, rosehip broth;
- second breakfast - any low-fat fermented milk product;
- lunch - seafood salad and olives, a glass of any unsweetened fruit juice;
- afternoon snack - some grapes ;
- dinner - boiled beans with spices, salad of tomatoes and cucumbers, seasoned with a small amount of vegetable oil.
- breakfast - lazy dumplings, black or green tea;
- second breakfast - tomato with cheese;
- lunch - vegetable okroshka, a slice of bran or whole grain bread;
- afternoon snack - any two fruits;
- dinner - boiled potatoes, turkey, vegetable salad.
- breakfast - weak coffee with milk, oatmeal and one egg white;
- second breakfast - fruit jelly or popsicles;
- lunch - low-fat chicken soup, boiled or baked veal (100 grams), salad of radish ;
- afternoon snack - orange or unsweetened yogurt;
- dinner - mushroom risotto or spaghetti in tomato sauce, boiled beetroot salad.
Recipes for a hypocholesterol diet
Diversifying the menu for a hypocholesterol diet is quite easy, since there are a lot of foods that are allowed to be consumed. For daily use, popular dishes such as okroshka are suitable, but instead of sausage, you can cut boiled chicken fillet or lean veal, vegetable stew with rabbit, risotto with mushrooms and vegetables, cheesecakes, seafood salad, gazpacho, pilaf with dried apricots and prunes and a lot other delicious meals.
To prepare such a tasty and healthy dish you will need:
- low-fat cottage cheese - 300 grams;
- semolina - 2 tablespoons;
- flour - 4 tablespoons;
- egg white - 2 pieces;
- soda - 1 teaspoon.
Proteins must be whipped with a small amount of sugar, add grated cottage cheese. Then put flour, soda and semolina into the mixture and knead until a homogeneous consistency is obtained. Put the resulting mixture with a spoon on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment and cook in the oven at a temperature of 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
Gazpacho is a cold Spanish soup made from pureed raw vegetables. For its preparation you will need:
- large fleshy tomatoes - 3 pieces;
- cucumber - 1 piece;
- sweet bell pepper - 1 piece;
- white bread - 1 slice;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon;
Put the tomatoes in boiling water for a few seconds to make it easier to get rid of the skin. Soak bread in warm water. Peel the vegetables and put them in a blender along with the bread. Grind everything until a homogeneous puree-like consistency is obtained. Arrange on plates, add olive oil and herbs. In summer, it is recommended to add a little ice to such a soup.
To prepare such a light and tasty dish you will need:
- brown rice - 250 grams;
- dried apricots - 200 grams;
- carrots - 1 piece;
- prunes - 100 grams;
- apple - 1 piece.
Rice must be boiled before cooking. Cut the apple, carrot and dried fruit into small strips. It is advisable to pre-soak dried fruits for a few minutes. In a cauldron, fry chopped dried fruits, carrots and an apple, add boiled rice, mix. Add water and simmer until it has completely evaporated.
Contraindications and harms of hypocholesterol diet
Any diet, including hypocholesterol diet, is contraindicated for pregnant and lactating women, as well as for children and adolescents under eighteen years of age. It is not recommended to adhere to such a diet for people with oncological diseases or with a predisposition to them. Also, do not use such a system for weight loss for people with kidney disease.
The results of a hypocholesterol diet
Such a diet helps to significantly reduce and normalize blood cholesterol levels, and also improves the condition of blood vessels and liver. But in order to completely normalize cholesterol levels, one diet is not enough. It is recommended to take medications prescribed by a doctor, therefore, before “sit down” on such a diet, a consultation with a cardiologist and a nutritionist is necessary. The diet is very well balanced, so it can be used throughout life. Thus, once having tried this method and being convinced of its effectiveness, you can make such nutrition a way of life. And as a positive appendage in such a diet will be weight loss and maintaining it in the norm for quite a long time. It is very good, in addition to a hypocholesterol diet, to introduce sports into your everyday life and get rid of bad habits, such as: smoking and alcohol. And then you will feel how your life has changed for the better.
A hypocholesterol diet is a diet that is primarily aimed at improving health. It is prescribed by doctors to reduce and normalize the level of cholesterol in human blood. Such a diet is recommended by nutritionists, cardiologists and gastroenterologists, as it can significantly improve the condition of the body, increase vitality and maintain health and vigor throughout life. It is a fully balanced diet containing grains, proteins, vegetables and fruits. You can stick to this diet for the rest of your life and feel great at the same time. This diet has practically no contraindications, except for childhood, pregnancy and lactation. It is also not recommended for oncological diseases and exacerbation of chronic liver diseases.
- nutrition as a guarantee of health and longevity / Pedagogy, psychology and biomedical problems of physical education and sports. -2008. -#4. -WITH. 50-52
- Vorobyov RI – Nutrition and health. – M.: Medicine. 2010. - 156 p..