Vitamins for memory - organic substances that improve the cognitive functions of the brain (attention, intelligence, memory, thinking). Along with this, nutrients are involved in carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism, support the work of endocrine glands, control bone mineralization, and prevent the development of pathologies of the vascular bed.
Considering that memory is responsible for the preservation, accumulation and reproduction of the received information, cognitive impairment leads to negative consequences. Namely: a decrease in concentration, increased forgetfulness, inhibition of mental reactions, deterioration of intellectual abilities.
The weakening of brain activity in 90% of cases is due to a deficiency of vital substances in the body.
Consider the list of essential nutrients for memory, sources of their receipt, useful properties.
What vitamins are needed for memory?
The most important nutrients for the brain are B vitamins. They play a primary role in the transmission of nerve impulses to the brain, the delivery of oxygen to tissues, the restoration of neuronal myelin, the saturation of nerve cells with energy, protection against overload and early aging.
The main representatives of B vitamins:
- Thiamine (B1). Optimizes the work of neurons, improves cognitive functions, reduces nervous excitability, speeds up mental reactions. With a lack of thiamine, uric acid accumulates (accumulation) in the body, resulting in forgetfulness, apathy, depression, insomnia, headache.
- Riboflavin (B2). Stimulates brain activity, suppresses drowsiness, reduces fatigue (during mental and physical stress), prevents headaches. Riboflavin deficiency is manifested by weakness, mental retardation, slow wound healing.
- Pantothenic acid (B5). Accelerates the transmission of impulses between neurons (activates long-term memory), stimulates the synthesis of protective antibodies (neutralizes the effects of nicotine and alcohol). Signs of vitamin B5 deficiency: restless sleep, fatigue, depressed mood, memory lapses, enzymatic disorders.
Pantothenic acid enters the body together with milk, cabbage, buckwheat, hazelnuts and eggs. The daily requirement is 5-7 milligrams.
- Pyridoxine (B6). Increases the speed of brain reactions, eliminates anxiety, reduces irritability, protects CNS cells from damage. Interestingly, brain activity directly depends on the concentration of pyridoxine in the body. Lack of vitamin B6 is accompanied by the following reactions: night cramps, psychosis, loss of appetite, memory impairment, vomiting.
Food sources of the vitamin are eggs, baked potatoes, bananas, cabbage. For the full functioning of the brain, it is important to take at least 2 milligrams of the vitamin per day.
- Nicotinic acid (B3). Stimulates mental reactions due to participation in the processes of energy formation in nerve cells, improves concentration by increasing blood circulation, reduces nervous tension. With a lack of vitamin PP, insomnia, migraines, dizziness, and in severe cases, dementia, schizophrenia, loss of consciousness occur.
The necessary element is found in butter, egg yolk, poultry (chicken), fish, buckwheat, milk. For the full functioning of the brain, it is important to consume 15 - 20 milligrams of niacin per day.
- Folic acid (B9). Participates in the synthesis of amino acids necessary for brain function ( glycine, tryptophan, tyrosine ), increases the speed of mental reactions, normalizes sleep, strengthens the immune system, is responsible for the development and formation of the fetal nervous system. Deficiency of this substance leads to inhibition of cell division (especially in the brain and intestines), anemia, sleep disturbance, memory lapses, and digestive disorders.
Vitamin B9 is present in fermented milk products, mushrooms, cereals, pumpkin. The daily norm is 0.4 milligrams.
- Cyanocobalamin (B12). Regulates the daily activity of the body (phases of sleep and wakefulness), controls the transition of information from short-term memory to long-term, normalizes the psycho-emotional background. Vitamin B12 deficiency is a common cause of dementia and memory loss in old age.
Natural sources: baker's and beer yeast, beef and veal liver, sprouted wheat, green onions, seafood. The daily norm is 0.003 milligrams.
In addition to B vitamins, the body needs the following substances to improve memory:
- Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate, L -ascorbic acid). Levels (smoothes, reduces, eliminates) the effects of physical and mental overload, enhances cerebral circulation, increases the bioavailability of B vitamins, strengthens the myelin sheaths of neurons.
- Vitamin E (tocopherol, tocotrienol). Protects nervous tissue from the damaging effects of toxins and free radicals, strengthens short-term memory, regulates mood swings, accelerates the perception of new information, enhances the production of sex hormones. In addition, regular intake of tocopherol inhibits Alzheimer's disease.
- Vitamin D (cholecalciferol). Accelerates the transmission of nerve signals to the brain (by maintaining the correct concentration of calcium in the blood), maintains the elasticity of neurons, coordinates the production of insulin.
Cholecalciferol is found in the following foods: fish, eggs, meat and liver of cattle, milk, cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese. To maintain good health, the body should receive from 100 to 500 milligrams of a nutrient per day daily.
- Vitamin P ( bioflavonoids ). Strengthen the walls of nerve capillaries, prevent cerebral hemorrhage, protect CNS cells from free radicals.
Antioxidants enter the body together with rose hips, grapes, mountain ash, lemon, black currant. The daily portion is 40 - 100 milligrams.
The human body is 65% water, and the brain cells are 90%. In the body, it is distributed as follows: one part is concentrated in the extracellular space, the other is inside the cells. In the first case, thanks to water, the body evenly distributes oxygen, nutrients and removes toxins from the body, in the second case, it ensures metabolism and energy production.
It is important to drink at least 1.5 liters of water a day to remember information and ensure mental function.
Symptoms of brain dehydration: emotional instability, heaviness in the head, depression, irritability, anger, increased fatigue, decreased ability to concentrate. Prolonged lack of water (dehydration) is the cause of a decrease in brain cells in volume and mass, which leads to the development of dementia, aggravates the course of amyotrophic sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's diseases.
Pills that improve memory: fantasy or reality?
Nervous tension, stress, lack of sleep are the main causes of overexcitation of the brain. This disorder leads to circulatory disorders, and, as a result, memory impairment, a decrease in brain activity, and a weakening of mental reactions. To prevent these problems, the pharmaceutical industry produces vitamins that strengthen memory. However, many people have a question: what is the secret of such drugs, is the benefit of taking them exaggerated?
This is not entirely true, since supplements affect memory only indirectly. The main task of such funds is to improve the processes occurring in the brain: blood circulation, metabolism, connections between neurons, energy exchange in tissues, transmission of nerve impulses to the central nervous system, regeneration of the myelin sheaths of neurons. After restoring these processes, in 80% of cases, the speed and quality of memorization increases.
Myth #2 “Memory enhancing vitamins can be self-selected. They have no contraindications”
A dangerous delusion. These drugs, like any drug, have limitations.
Contraindications: pregnancy, lactation, atherosclerosis, dysfunction of cerebral blood flow, arterial hypotension, disorders of purine metabolism, erosive gastritis. In addition, some drugs (strong) are indicated only after surgery or traumatic brain injury.
Remember, brain supplements should only be taken as directed by a neurologist.
Myth No. 3 “After 60, the only way to improve memory is to take therapeutic and prophylactic complexes.”
Partially true. To strengthen memory, it is important, first of all, to do exercises (including breathing), consume wholesome food, train mental abilities (solve crossword puzzles, memorize and retell poems, watch and then discuss documentaries on topics of interest or learn a foreign language), refuse from bad habits, drink 1.5 liters of clean water a day, regularly take vitamin courses.
In old age, the transmission of nerve impulses, metabolic reactions weaken, so older people more often than young people need treatment with nootropic or multivitamin complexes.
The conclusion and appointment is made by the attending physician, based on the state of health, age and concomitant disorders. Do not self-medicate!
Myth #4 “Regular use of memory supplements is the best prevention of Alzheimer’s disease”
, memory impairment, weakening of the intellect, mood swings) can be stopped with drugs that improve cerebral blood flow. However, this is not the case, since the development of Alzheimer's disease is based on degenerative processes in the brain, in particular, total atrophy of the nervous tissue. The causes of this disease are not yet fully understood.
Drug treatment of dementia includes the use of drugs aimed at normalizing metabolic processes in the brain, improving the trophism of the nervous tissue, detoxifying the body, and reducing neurological dysfunctions (depression, anxiety, hallucinations). Therefore, at the first symptoms of memory impairment, immediately contact a neurologist (to determine the nature of the disorder and prescribe appropriate therapy).
Vitamins for children
One of the common causes of low intelligence in children is cerebrovascular accident. At the same time, kids do not remember information well, they cannot concentrate, they quickly get tired.
Such dysfunctions in 90% of cases are associated with a deficiency of essential substances in the body. To eliminate and prevent cognitive disorders, the child's diet is enriched with vegetables, fruits, berries, herbs, nuts, cereals, and sour-milk products. Along with this, the need for vitamins is compensated with the help of biologically active complexes.
Let's take a look at the popular brain enhancement products:
- Junior Bee Smart (Vision, Ireland). Children's multivitamin, produced in the form of figured chewable capsules (fish) with a natural caramel-fruity taste. The supplement contains fat-soluble vitamins ( A, D, E), lipids ( omega-3 ). The drug is used to improve memory, thinking, accelerate mental reactions, normalize the work of the central nervous system, and reduce excessive excitability in a child. Chewable lozenges are taken once a day, 1 piece (after breakfast).
- Vitrum Memory (Unipharm, USA). Organic remedy based on Ginkgo biloba extract. In addition, the supplement contains 4 vitamins (B1, B2, B6, C) and 1 trace element ( zinc ). With regular intake of Vitrum, the blood circulation of the brain improves, intellectual abilities increase, the life span of nerve cells increases, and the activity of the thrombus-forming factor decreases. The drug is taken twice a day, one capsule.
- Glycine Bio (Farmaplant, Russia). Nootropic monopreparation, consisting of the amino acid L-glycine. With regular intake of the supplement, inhibition and excitation reactions in the central nervous system are normalized, metabolic processes in the brain are improved, and the synthesis of nucleic acids in the body is restored.
Indications for use: mental retardation in children, sleep disorders, nervous irritability, stressful conditions, rehabilitation after traumatic brain injuries and neuroinfections (in complex therapy). The daily dose for newborns is 25 milligrams, infants from 1 to 3 years old - 50 milligrams, children over three years old - 100 milligrams.
- Pikovit Omega-3 (Krka, Slovenia). A multicomponent composition produced in the form of a syrup with a peach flavor. The complex includes fish oil (source of omega-3), B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine, cyanocobalamin, folic acid), cholecalciferol, retinol, tocopherol. The ingredients of the supplement, improving cerebral blood flow, increase cognitive functions, including the child's adaptation to school loads.
The syrup is consumed pure or diluted once a day (after breakfast). Reception scheme: for children from 1 to 5 years old - 5 milliliters, for schoolchildren (6-14 years old) - 7.5 milliliters, for children over 15 years old - 10 milliliters.
- Biotredin (MNPK Biotiki, Russia). Preparation based on vitamin B6 and L-threonine (amino acids). The herbal supplement is used to improve short-term and long-term memory, increase mental performance, relieve psycho-emotional stress in schoolchildren. Daily dosage for children - 1-2 tablets under the tongue.
Vitamins for memory for adults
The role of the nervous system is to perceive and analyze information received from outside. In addition, she directs the movements of a person and is responsible for the coordinated work of the whole organism. The manifestation of higher nervous activity is speech, emotions, memory and intellect. Interestingly, the violation of biochemical reactions in the brain, first of all, affects the quality of memorization.
List of drugs to improve memory:
- Neurostrong (Artlife, Russia). A bioactive complex designed to strengthen the nervous system, accelerate recovery processes after a stroke, and prevent dysfunctions of the microcirculatory bed of the brain. The composition of the drug includes: L-glutamic acid, ginger, licorice, ginkgo biloba, lecithin, blueberries, vitamins B1, B3, B6.
BAA is prescribed 1 tablet 3 times a day for 2-3 weeks.
- Intellan (Herbion Pakistan, Pakistan). Organic supplement, which includes 6 types of medicinal herbs (Ginkgo biloba, Centella asiatica, Herpestis monnierra, coriander seed, Amomum subulate, Emblica officinalis). The drug is used to stimulate brain activity by activating neurotransmitter centers, stopping anxiety of a psychogenic and neurotic nature, increasing intellectual abilities, and eliminating dizziness caused by neurosensory changes.
Standard dosage: 1 capsule or 10 milliliters of syrup twice a day.
- Neuro Plus (Vitaline, Russia). Natural biocomplex that improves memory, attention, mood. Active ingredients: gotu kola, ginger, licorice, ginkgo biloba. With regular intake of the supplement, blood flow improves, and hence oxygen to the tissues, the permeability of the vascular wall decreases, the vitality of the body increases, the regeneration of the retinal pigment accelerates, psychomotor and speech development accelerates.
The drug is taken three times a day, 1 capsule after meals.
- Memory Rise (Artlife, Russia). Therapeutic and prophylactic drug for optimizing the nutrition of brain cells, increasing concentration, improving memory. Bioadditives include plant extracts (gotu-kola, five-lobed motherwort, ginkgo biloba, prickly hawthorn, Korean ginseng, guarana, horse chestnut), amino acids ( L-glutamine, L-methionine, L-tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, L-carnitine, gamma-aminobutyric acid), vitamins (B1, B3, B4, B5, B6, B8, B9, B12), macronutrients (calcium, magnesium ).
For prophylactic purposes, the drug is taken 1-2 tablets twice a day, for therapeutic purposes - 2 pills 3 times a day.
- Brain and Memory (Herb Pharm, USA). Colloidal solution to normalize mental activity, reduce nervous excitability and improve sleep. The concentrate contains extracts of gotu kola, ginkgo biloba, skullcap, sage and rosemary.
The drug is used between meals, 0.7 milliliters 2-3 times a day.
Foods that increase memory
Given that the diet directly affects the performance of the brain, it is important to know what foods stimulate its work.
Nutrition that improves attention and memory:
- Whole grains (green buckwheat, brown rice, wheat bran, rye bread, flattened oat flakes) supply B vitamins, iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium to the body.
- Oily fish ( salmon, trout, mackerel , sardine, smelt, herring, anchovy). Natural source of omega-3 lipids, macronutrients ( phosphorus, calcium, potassium), trace elements (zinc, chromium, manganese, copper, selenium ), vitamins (A, D, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12).
- Avocado. Contains fat-soluble vitamins (A, E) and polyunsaturated lipids omega - 3.
- Nuts ( walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews). They contain almost all B vitamins, alpha-linolenic acid (vegetable omega-3), beta-carotene, tocopherol, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, copper and iodine.
- Berries (blueberries, cranberries, blueberries, grapes). They are a food source of natural antioxidants: anthocyanins, flavonoids, vitamins A, B, C, K.
- Vegetables (tomatoes, eggplants, beets, cabbage, carrots, spinach). When alternating such products, the body is saturated with beta-carotene, iron, iodine, zinc, folic acid, vitamins K, B and E. At the same time, the color of the vegetable determines the presence of one or another antioxidant in it. For example, eggplant (purple color) contains nasunin, beetroot (red color) - anthocyanin, spinach (green color) - folic acid.
- Spices (cinnamon, turmeric, saffron, rosemary, sage, ginger). The composition of seasonings includes the following substances: essential oils, vitamins (C, B, E), organic acids (carnosine, malic ), amino acids (threonine, valine, lysine, tryptophan, isoleucine ), trace elements (copper, zinc, iron, selenium), macronutrients (potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium).
- Honey. Natural alternative to sugar. It supplies the body with amino acids and glucose necessary to replenish the body's energy reserves.
Adaptogen herbs are used to improve memory: ginkgo bilobo, gotu kola, ginseng, eleutherococcus, radiola. They are brewed and drunk in courses 2-3 times a day for 14-30 days.
Memory is the most important function of the nervous system, responsible for storing, accumulating and reproducing the received information. When interneuronal connections in the brain are disturbed, a person develops absent-mindedness, forgetfulness, irritability, anxiety, disorientation in space. The basis of such problems is often a deficiency of essential substances in the body.
With persistent hypovitaminosis, cerebral circulation worsens, myelin sheaths of nerves are damaged, and vascular permeability increases.
To prevent cognitive disorders, it is important to replenish daily the body's need for vitamins (B, C, E, D, P), micro- and macroelements (magnesium, phosphorus, sulfur, potassium, calcium, zinc, copper, iron), essential fats (omega-3, 6, 9 ). You can get them from whole grain bread, sprouted cereals, raw nuts and seeds, fatty fish, eggs, cereals, fruits, dairy products.
For the prevention of venous congestion in the brain, it is advisable to take memory supplements - Vitrum Memory, Direct, Active Day, Forever Ginkgo Spit, Glycine, Aminalon, Phenotropil. However, the type of complex, as well as indications for its administration, is determined by a neurologist based on complaints, examination and examination data of the patient.