Vitamins for the eyes - useful compounds necessary to strengthen the retina, stabilize the lens, improve tissue microcirculation, eliminate the cutting sensations of the eye and maintain visual acuity. In particular, these are nutrients A, B, C, lutein, selenium, potassium, zinc, omega-3, anthocyanins.
It has been known since school that 80% of the information received by a person is visual. Therefore, it is important to carefully monitor the health of your eyes. The modern way of life, scientific and technological progress does not contribute to this at all. The abundance of blue light sources (mobile phones, computers, tablets, laptops, energy-saving fluorescent lamps), unhealthy diet, bad habits, stress, poor environment undermine the eyesight of young people, creating fertile ground for the development of eye diseases (cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration). To "mitigate" the negative impact of environmental factors on the eye, make up for the lack of vitamins and minerals in the body.
Remember, eye fatigue is not a pathological condition. This is only a symptom, like redness, the appearance of cramps, which indicate that against the background of these signs, vision may deteriorate. Don't ignore body signals. Only in this way does he indicate that he needs help and protection from outside.
An imperceptible blow to vision - blue light
It's no secret that gadgets and computers have a negative effect on a person's eyes. What is the reason for this phenomenon? The danger of technology lies in the fact that it acts as a source of blue light, which contributes to the formation of free radicals and reactive oxygen species. These substances oxidize lipids and proteins that make up the membranes of visual cells, damaging the visual apparatus.
To protect the organs of vision from free radicals, nature provides for regular renewal of retinal cells. In addition, photooxidation is prevented by antioxidants, which in the visual system are represented by lutein and zeakstantin. Only these carotenoids penetrate the retina, protecting the eyes from photodamage.
Up to a year, lutein and zeaxanthin are present in the body of a child from birth, but later on their synthesis stops, as a result, useful compounds can be obtained only with food.
The highest amount of carotenoids is found in dark green vegetables and yellow-orange fruits. To fill the body's daily need for compounds, you need to eat 2 kilograms of carrots or 1.5 kilograms of bell peppers and 0.25 kilograms of spinach. This is possible, but problematic, therefore, to improve vision, it is recommended to use vitamins for the eyes. The drugs are available in the form of eye drops, tablets, capsules.
Who needs vitamins?
First of all, dietary supplements are recommended for people at risk for vision:
- for varicose veins;
- for visual impairments (astigmatism, glaucoma, cataracts, myopia, hyperopia);
- in diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, hypertension;
- with significant visual load after 40 years;
- with regular contact lens wear;
- people who spend more than 5 hours a day on a computer.
Vitamin-mineral complexes nourish the eyeball, strengthen blood vessels, improve vision, prevent the development of pathologies (nearsightedness and farsightedness). The composition of the preparations, as a rule, includes herbal ingredients (parsley, blueberries, carrots), which have a beneficial effect on the state of the eye.
Complexes are recommended to be taken twice a year: in autumn and spring. It is not safe to use eye drops without a doctor's prescription, as you can get irritation of a sensitive organ.
A natural source of vitamins
Carrots and blueberries play a key role in the prevention of vision changes.
In the human body, beta-carotene is metabolized, then moves through the blood vessels and reaches the visual cells of the retina, where the sun's rays are perceived, converted into a nerve impulse that enters the brain.
The beneficial properties of blueberries are due to the presence of anthocyanins. The compound supplies the retina with nutrients, increases the activity of its enzymes, strengthens blood vessels, and reduces eye fatigue. Blueberries are recommended for drivers and people who regularly read in low light conditions, work a lot at the monitor.
With progressive myopia, the berry, together with vitamin E, stops pathological changes in the tissues of the eye, maintains vision.
Remember, the benefits will be maximized if you alternate the consumption of a variety of fruits, vegetables and foods rich in dietary fiber, omega acids. To avoid habituation and reduced effectiveness, do not give preference to one ingredient.
Let's consider what foods, besides blueberries and carrots, contain natural vitamins and carotenoids to maintain visual acuity:
- onions and garlic;
- chicken eggs;
- dark chocolate;
- fish (tuna, sardine, herring), fish oil;
- nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts) and sunflower seeds;
- fruits (citrus fruits, apricots, kiwi, apples, bananas);
- sweet potatoes;
- orange pepper;
- white and Brussels sprouts;
- dairy products.
These products are recommended to be eaten raw or included in dishes (salads, casseroles, vegetable caviar). After heat treatment, they are more easily absorbed by the body, while the amount of components useful for vision in them is reduced by 15-30%.
According to research results, a balanced diet based on a combination of products of the above groups prevents the risk of developing diseases of the organs of vision, protects against cataracts, free radicals, prevents macular degeneration and improves metabolism. tissues.
What vitamins are needed for the eyes?
Nutrient deficiency in the body leads to impaired perception of information by the organs of vision.
Lack of riboflavin (B2) contributes to a feeling of "sand" in the eyes, pyridoxine (B6) causes involuntary twitching of the eyelids, and retinol (A) - causes hemeralopia or "night blindness", which, when neglected, leads to melting of the cornea.
By using a multivitamin complex for vision, you will correct an urgent problem and prevent the development of concomitant pathologies.
List of nutrients for eye health:
- Vitamin A. Strengthens the cornea, improves visual acuity, maintains the ability to see clearly at dusk. Food sources of retinol: milk, oily fish, mountain ash, carrots, parsley, spinach. The daily requirement for a compound for an adult is 1.5 milligrams.
- Vitamin C. It keeps the eye muscles in good shape, resists hemorrhages, reduces the risk of cataracts and glaucoma, supports regeneration processes in the cornea and participates in reactions that provide the organs of vision with oxygen. Natural sources of ascorbic acid: citrus fruits, cabbage, sea buckthorn, garden greens, chokeberry. The daily norm is 100 milligrams.
- Vitamin B1. It normalizes intraocular pressure, is responsible for the state of the pupil, the quality of transmission of nerve impulses from the brain to the organs of vision, resists glaucoma. Thiamine is found in brewer's yeast, bran, flour products made from wholemeal flour, liver. The daily norm is 1 - 2.5 milligrams.
- Vitamin B2. Strengthens the capillary network in the organs of vision, improves the performance of the pupil. Riboflavin is present in almonds, fresh peas, egg yolk, cheese, liver, cottage cheese. The daily dose varies from 1.5 to 3 milligrams.
- Vitamin B12. Participates in the stabilization of the work of nerve fibers in the organs of vision, maintains normal blood circulation in the eyes. Foods rich in cyanocobalamin: fish, herring, offal, beef, milk, cheese. The daily dose ranges from 2 to 4 milligrams.
- Lutein. Strengthens the retina and lens, protects the eye from pathological changes, ensures the full functioning of the eye, slows down the development of age-related macular degeneration. In addition, the carotenoid reflects a harmful blue color, inhibits the formation of free radicals, improves the performance of neurons in the central zone of the retina (bioelectric activity and light sensitivity). Lutein exhibits antioxidant properties, increases visual acuity, and reduces the negative effects of solar radiation. The compound is present in the following parts of the eye: ciliary body, macula, lens, iris, choroid. A lack of lutein threatens with the formation of macular dystrophy, diabetic angiopathy, glaucoma, cataracts. The best natural sources of carotenoids are kale, broccoli, spinach, melon, peaches, oranges, pumpkin, corn, raspberries, beets, tomato juice. To maintain eye health, the daily norm is 6 - 10 milligrams.
- Anthocyanins. They are antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that protect against the development of retinopathy, strengthen the walls of retinal blood vessels, remove lipofuscin from eye tissues. Anthocyanins relieve fatigue and eye strain. The greatest amount of useful substances is concentrated in blueberries and black currants. The daily norm is 100 milligrams.
- Zinc. The lack of a mineral in the body leads to a deterioration in the ability of the lens to absorb glucose. Long-term zinc deficiency increases the likelihood of cataracts. The trace element is found in pumpkin seeds, asparagus, poultry meat, eggs, beef liver, seafood, and fish. The daily requirement is 10 milligrams.
- Selenium. It prevents the accumulation of oxidation products and age-related destruction of the visual apparatus, protects eye tissues from the influence of oxygen radicals. Products containing selenium: seaweed, crabs, squid, buckwheat, oatmeal, garlic, olive oil, lard. The daily dose is 0.06 milligrams.
- Omega - 3. Improves nutrition, microcirculation of the eyeball, keeps the retina healthy, prevents the development of inflammatory processes. Remember, the human body does not synthesize the compound, so it is important to monitor the regular intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids with food. Sources of omega - 3 acids: flaxseeds, rapeseed oil, walnuts. The daily norm is 1000 - 2500 milligrams.
- Potassium. Stimulates the blood supply to the organs of vision, prevents their weakness, aging. The trace element is found in fish, milk, apples, cranberries, parsley, dried apricots, raisins, and honey. The daily requirement is 4000 milligrams.
To maintain normal and improve vision, it is recommended to saturate the diet with foods containing carotenoids and take vitamin and mineral complexes regularly twice a year.
Vitamins for the eyes: capsules and tablets
When using drugs, remember that their spectrum of action extends to the entire body. Therefore, for urgent relief of the patient's condition, it is better to give preference to "liquid" vitamins in drops, which act faster and more efficiently.
Popular tableted eye vitamins:
- "Lutein Complex". This is a powerful restorative drug, which is indicated for severe visual stress, for elderly people with glaucoma, cataracts or retinal dystrophy. Tablets are taken one to three pieces a day with meals. Preventive course of treatment - 2 months.
- "Optics". It is prescribed for people suffering from night blindness, diabetes, having problems with the lens, retina. In addition, the drug is recommended for people with irregular meals. The course of treatment is 3 months. Tablets should be taken orally one at a time with meals.
- Doppelherz Active. The main components of the supplement: blueberry extract, retinol, lutein. Helps regeneration processes, improves blood circulation in the eyes, is recommended for restoring vision after surgery in the eye. Dietary supplements are allowed without a doctor's prescription. Tablets are taken once a day for 2 to 4 months. The effectiveness of the drug depends on the regularity of use.
- "Strix with blueberries." Removes discomfort in the organs of vision. These vitamins can be drunk as a prophylactic for people who spend a lot of time at the computer or constantly work with welding. The course of treatment is 30 days. Take one tablet per day.
- Tears. Resists degenerative processes in the eyes that begin to develop in old age. In addition, this drug can be used by young people with vision pathologies of various etiologies. Slezavit relieves eye strain, therefore, it is prescribed for children during intensive growth, for drivers during long-term driving, when wearing contact lenses, and when working in low light conditions. The course of admission is a month. Adults and children over 3 years of age take one capsule daily with meals.
- Focus. Prevents the destruction of the retina and the development of eye diseases. It is forbidden to use the drug for children under 14 years of age. The course of treatment is 1.5 - 2 months. Take one tablet once a day.
- Vitrum Vision. It improves metabolism in the eye analyzer, protects against the negative effects of free radicals, enhances visual acuity, strengthens the vascular system of the eye, accelerates its recovery after surgery or trauma.
Indications for use: myopia, deterioration of dark adaptation, degenerative diseases of the retina, many hours of work at the computer, night blindness, diabetic retinopathy. Vitrum Vision take one tablet in the morning and in the evening after meals. The course of therapy is 3 months.
The following vitamin complexes for adults are also useful for the eyes: Blueberry Forte, Aevit, Super Optic, Lutein-Complex. To maintain the vision of a growing child's body, Vitrum Kids, Pikovit, Mertilen-forte, Strix, Mirticam are suitable. An alternative to vitamin tablet complexes are eye drops. However, they can be buried only after the appointment of an ophthalmologist.
Remember, falling vision is a disaster for any person. Regularly take care of the condition of the eyes, even if nothing bothers you. The problem is better to prevent than to cure, and this is easier to do with the help of nutrients.
Vitamins for the eyes: drops
Used to prevent age-related processes in the lens, cornea, prevent the appearance of cataracts, scars, keratitis and restore vision after hemorrhage.
To achieve a good result, eye vitamins in drops should be combined with calcium, zinc, lutein, retinol, ascorbic acid, tocopherol, thiamine, riboflavin, cyanocobalamin. Due to the extensive "radius" of action, "liquid" drugs treat visual disorders, prevent their recurrence.
Vitamin eye drops:
- Riboflavin. It relieves tension, improves visual functions, eliminates the inflammatory process in the organs of vision. It is used for systematic high eye fatigue, for healing wounds after a burn or irritation of the mucous membrane of the eye.
- "Taufon". Neutralizes the effects of dry eye, relieves redness, inflammation, fatigue, heals the mucous membrane or cornea in case of damage, improves the supply of oxygen to the tissues of the eye.
- Sankatalin, Quinax. They get rid of "goosebumps" before the eyes, contribute to the optimization of visual functions, fight inflammation in cataracts.
- Cromohexal, Octilia, Prenacid. Eliminate the consequences of an allergic reaction: burning, itching, tearing. The positive effect is achieved in 2-3 days. Used to treat conjunctivitis of allergic origin.
- "Katachrom Vitafakol", "Katachrom", "Vitafakol". Neutralize the feeling of dryness in the eyes, cleanse the lens. Used in the initial stages of the onset of cataracts.
- "Ifiral", "High Krom". They relieve irritation of the mucous membrane, excessive fatigue of the organs of vision, fight cutting sensations, burning, dryness in the eye area.
- Japanese vitamin drops. Eliminate discomfort when wearing contact lenses, blepharitis, prolonged stay in a brightly lit place.
Depending on the drug and symptoms, eye drops should be applied 2 to 6 times a day. The scheme, duration of treatment and type of medication is prescribed by the ophthalmologist on an individual basis based on the clinical picture of the patient.
Vitamin complexes, proper nutrition, daily exercises for the eyes, proper regular rest are an affordable way to maintain vision at a normal level and prevent the development of pathological conditions of the eye.
In addition, it is recommended to use folk remedies to relieve tension. Namely, wash your eyes with an infusion of eyebright herb, drink freshly squeezed juice from carrots or blueberries daily, smoothies from chicory, parsley, celery with honey.
Remember, our eyes reflect the state of health in general, therefore, filling the lack of vitamins, micro and macro elements in the body, we restore visual acuity, while strengthening immunity and preserving beauty.